Sunday, March 22, 2009

In High School I could have been considered a regular at the local hospital and physical therapy clinics. Tearing both of my ACL's and having various other injuries where medical attention was necessary, my parents couldn't have been happier that I had great health insurance coverage.
My history however, is something that is now slowly creeping up on me as I near college graduation. Once graduated and on my own, no longer covered as a student or under my parents, I will have to search for my own health insurance. But who will want to cover a young girl who's already had more surgeries than her grandparents? My oldest sister, who is now under her own health insurance, recently tore her ACL as well. Residing in California now, in order to get the best coverage she had to fly back to Wisconsin and stay at home while recovering. It may have not been the easiest route, especially traveling both ways on crutches, but it was the cheapest. I witnessed first hand what my surgeries could have been if not covered. Simple luxuries such as the hospital TV were not even covered for her, and the hospital kicked her out almost as soon as they had ripped the IV out of her arm. Now I watch her pay out of pocket just for the minimal care she received.
When comparing two family members that had the exact same injury, doctor, and facility; it's sad to see that our health care system can be so skewed. She is paying more but receiving less care than I did. There is a definite need for an outpatient health care reform and after reading your proposals, I couldn't agree more with your group.

No comments:

Post a Comment